January is always busy with track starting and new semester at school plus the research course that I teach is winding down with county competition and University of Florida competition, but on a whim I signed up for running Ragnar from Miami to the Keys, continue training for Disney Marathon, and of course running the annual Ringling Bridge 4 miler.
Great month though....
|Bart and I in the Keys|
- Ragnar - ran just under 20 miles with 6:35 average and met new friends from Zensah along with Bart Yasso. Plus many friends from Sarasota made the trip to run as well as my Rev3 teammate Jen Small who was running for Fat to Fit...awesome!
- Disney Marathon - I felt I was in great shape. Training went well, but I came down with a little funk the Friday before, but pulled out a 2:53 to qualify for Boston. No coaches record...2:52.
- 4 miler Ringling Bridge - great local race with over 2000 runners and the Sarasota High Cross Country team had to defend our fastest team title. I finished 4th overall with 22:22, but I was the fastest over 20 years of age! And of course, the SHS team takes home 1st again with runners finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th in the top 10...that is right, I only lost to 2 of them!
- University of Florida - I had a student who finished 5th in the research symposium who is going to Dayton in May!
- Regional Science Fair - student's took home 9 1st places out of 12 categories!!
- Revolution 3 Triathlon made new announcements of team members as well, which is very exciting and can't wait to meet them in Knoxville.
|4th place overall at Bridge Run|
|Fastest team at Bridge Run!! Way to go SHS!|
February so far hasn't slowed down...
|Jackie and Shelby's snowman|
|Fun times at Boston Common|
- Track is in full swing with our time trail of the 1600 and 800 on Groundhog's Day
- I'm getting back into triathlon shape with more biking and lifting.
- Just came back from Boston for the national AJAS (American Junior Academy of Science) conference, which I took two of my student's who qualified last year to present their research. Very exciting trip and the student's had a great experience. [I was bummed that I missed the annual Scrub Jay 10K at Oscar Sherer (my training ground), which means I didn't earn any points for the MTC racing series. One of my goals this year is to win the series, which started off great with max points at the bridge run.]
- First track meet is this Friday (22nd) at North Port for the Bobcat Relays where we have a shot for breaking the school record in the Distance Medley (DMR) for the boys and the 4x1600 for the girls!
|Jackie at the site of Boston Massacre|
- Back to regular training
- Running isn't an issue since I have the track team at my disposal...they are definitely pushing me.
- Good ole' trainer...most rides have to begin early before school.
- Same old swim...I love swimming before school because I can just grab and my stuff half awake and get a great set in. Plus most times after track I can get a good 2000-3000 yards in since Abby works till 7:30.
- Coming up in March...
- Springfest 12k (MTC race series)
- Gate River Run 15k (my favorite race...great crowds, great after party)
- Benderson Mix Relay ITU super sprint! (Can't wait for this...myself with 3 others will be competing in a super sprint relay where all 4 people will swim/bike/run in a relay...$500 prize money!!)